Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Historicon 2017 Results and AAR
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject:

After a fun day of umping the theme and playing Early Libyan and getting thumped it is back to the NICT.

3rd round - Jamie White - Zulu

I am sooooooooooo not looking forward to this matchup. Jamie is a pleasure to play but Zulu is a tough matchup for me IMO. Shooting him up is a challenge as he's always in "skirmish", he can evade or charge, AND his HTW,Jls,Sh units can't be faced frontally. Yes, I know he takes the -2 for LTS but the math is off. I will fight with 12 @ 3, +1 charging is 4, 12@4 = 36. He fights with 12 @ 5, +1 jls, +1 charging, -2 LTS, 12@ 5 = 48.... magic number for disorder. He will recoil me, not follow up and then rout me next turn. I need to avoid those units.

Having played Jamie in the past with Zulu (a thorough ass-kicking of my KoSJ) I do know that he likes to have a delay command where there are lots of Jls,Sh units - he places them on my left. I need to press there. They still skirmish and all those cool Bantu rules, but maybe I'll catch him here and there and start the combat whirlwind I need. Jamie has his delay command where I place my more aggressive command (it doesn't have the subject warriors nor the Irreg C Otomi unit) and try to flank march the Otomi unit again on the right - it will come on on bound 2 and get routed by a HTW Zulu unit.... sigh....

Ok, onto my push. I get lucky and roll that fateful +2 in shooting vs. one of Jamie's many 2E units in the center of his army. He will elect to waiver and rolls a "1" with his "A" troops. I charge it - it rolls another "1" and routs causing another "B" unit to shake forcing Jamie to send in a 2E 2HCW unit alone. In time I will rout it and carry away the shaken unit in the middle.

On my left Jamie sets up a nice flank charge routing my Jaguar unit with his Sub. I fail the "A" Otomi waiver, but the rest hold on including a "C" unit of warriors. In time I am able to surround the sub and rout it and I'm pushing on the flanks vs. some small units of Jls armed troops that I've shot up here and there and eventually the command breaks + the units in the center. I am able to dally on my right and the game ends 5-2. It is a funny game where both sides have no mounted and initiative rolls are very important.

Ok - I'm at 9 now and all those that had 10 to start round 3 have had a few 2-2 or 2-1 type games and the leaders sit somewhere around 12-13 points.
I think Derek (NKE) played Bill (Tepanec) and Greg (Ghaz) vs. Ewan (HYW). Both tough matchup with Derek having a tough time outshooting Bill's army but getting enough waivers from Chariot charges vs. skirmishing troops. I know Ewan's matchup with Greg is also very tough vs. elephants but Greg also can't get through the wagon/ditch fortress easily. I'm still in the middle of the pack and really don't care at this point as I'm enjoying playing my army.

Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject:

4th round - Sean Scott - Italian Condotta

I haven't played Sean often and I know we're both now in the middle of the pack or so. Therefore, I try to have just another fun battle vs. another congenial opponent. I walked by Bill's earlier battle vs. Sean and saw his dog-pile attempts to take down the Swiss pikemen that Sean runs so well. I know Sean has a foot heavy list vs. a knight heavy list but I didn't know what most of them were until we played. Sean outscouts me enough to pick the side with the terrain (two big wooded hills on each center edge of each flank but mostly on his side) so he can keep me from using most of it. There is a wood in the deepback left side of my table (where the Irreg C Otomi start hidden in ambush in my deployment sector) and a brush on my flank as well. I'm pretty well between the two as is Sean's Swiss pikemen interspersed with Reg C LHI CB 1/2 2HCT units. On each of his flanks he is using 6E Reg D LMI Cb and some small LC and LI units. I am hoping to push there to get overlaps in the center.

I know that in order to win I have to get overlaps in shooting. Sean has to get to contact with the Swiss and push. Sean also has 3 units of SHK lurking in the rear and I am worried about them with the pike. Bound 2 has some decent shooting and I'm trying to catch some LMI CB on the flanks with a decent shot. Bound 3 that happens and I disorder the right flank one letting it recoil. It will shake and break with another round of shooting/charges causing the LHI unit next to it to shake as well. I brought out the Irreg C Otomi unit on the far left to push against some LI and LC and was hoping to sacrifice it vs. some knights if Sean wanted the points. I think Sean was frustrated having to play two Tepanec armies and he goes for the points sending 2 SHK units out of the center and towards my left flank at the Otomi. I am more than happy to have these bad boys leave the center.

I take a gamble on my right and charge a Swiss block (3 deep/2wide) with my warrior unit and have him push me back - I circulate to avoid some second round damage. He has extended his line to do this and I am able to swarm the unit frontally and to the side. It takes 2 more turns and a spot having to eat a SHK flank charge but the Swiss unit eventually breaks.

In the center I am falling back, but able to shoot away the LHI units leaving the Swiss units alone to shooting. I roll well (24 @ 4 to start with when you get an overlap and rolling up helps as well) and they are tired and disordered and rout in combat. My Otomi have died on the flank as Sean pushes there but the damage is done in the center as the Swiss command is broken. 5-2 win.

I know that Derek and Ewan play to a 2-2 ish type game again. Bill plays tough vs. Robert but it looks 2-2 ish again. I realize that I'm having a good day with 10 points so far and I'm back in the pack but I just want to enjoy the day - that's why we do this right? I'm off a little early and I head over to Wegmans (the best food source from ANY convention we've ever had) to get my usual dinner fare. I run into Ewan there who casually remarks to me that I'm in the front of the pack raw point wise with 14. Well, I didn't expect it after day 1, but I'm happy to be here after quite a few years.

Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject:

So..... here I am with 14 points and in the lead... not where I expected to be and with my army choices the last few years it has certainly been a while since I was a contender and it has been a long 22 years since 1995. I have to say that I had very mixed emotions going into the game. I certainly was hoping for a win - who doesn't want a shot at the title?, but I was also hoping to be able to enjoy playing the game. Well, I thought I would try my best to make it a game and see what happens. I have to say I was a little more nervous than usual going in.

Round 5 - Derek Downs - NKE

I had seen that Derek played Bill and knew that his chariots could charge me in skirmish getting a few free waivers that might be my undoing. On another note, I have to give a shoutout to Bill for placing 4th with Tepanec as well (2nd in 2015 as well) to show that Tepanec is a decent army when handled well. There is a thread discussing it if anyone is interested. http://www.fourhorsemenenterprises.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17579&highlight=

Derek outscouts me AND has 27 - yup - 27 units in his one command. I have 19, which is a fair number, but I know I'll have to watch my flanks for sure. I know I have a better matchup IMO, but Derek is Derek and knows his NKE army well. Terrain - there is a mostly gentle hill on my right, a woods in my center back area (a huge pain as I have LTS and have to get beyond it to fight/shoot well), across the woods in the center is a large brush, on the left flank is a major water and a large, sprawling marsh.

I try to anchor on the marsh with the Irreg C Otomi and the Subject warriors holding it and Derek has lots of Reg D LMI Bowmen in it as well. I stretch my units across the board and hope to hold the right flank around the hill area. There is a gap between the marsh and Derek's brush where he places his MI and LHI guard unit. The game begins in the first few rounds with Derek outshooting me at range and even getting a few halts here and there - I can't skirmish for fear of being caught against the woods in skirmish and don't want to waiver to evade chariots as well - I "won" the initiative bounds 3-5 and couldn't press where I needed to at times.

Bound 3 - I have two units of Eagle/Jaguar knights in between the marsh and brush/woods area opposed to Derek's guard unit (4E LHI 1HCW JLS SH RB 138 ). I charge it and Derek counter charges it. My plan was that his unit would recoil my 2 units and he would either follow up (I circulate and win on numbers in long run) or he pushes me off and I shoot him with 24@2 for 48 and disorder him/halt him. Well, Derek rolls up 3 and routs BOTH units. My first thought is "I've lost the NICT".... but I pass my waiver tests for the 3 units that see it and pass my personal waiver test to remain in the game. Maybe I can salvage the center - I move up my Ireg A Otomi unit and hope for an opportunity.

Bound 4 - we exchange shots across the board with a few ups here and there. I waiver in a spot to the right of the debacle in order to not halt and pass. Meanwhile on the right flank my lights are quickly being overwhelmed. In most battles vs. most people I can dilly-dally with a light unit or two and hold off for 3-4 turns until the battle is decided and my opponent can't take advantage of the turned flank in time. Not with Derek (or Ewan historically either) as Derek puts untold upon pressure with waves of troops. He is constantly sending troops on the right (and a flank marched LCh unit as well arrives). I have pulled out a 2E LI unit earlier and kept my 4E LI S,Sh unit in the rear and send both over to the right to hold it off. I've also begun to send over a 2E Otomi unit AND my CinC as well to make sure Derek doesn't turn the flank with the 8-odd units he's sent/sending to that area. Derek also plays very quickly so a 3-4 turn hold isn't enough as you are likely to play 8-9 turns and then you are toast over on the now turned flank. I shore it up fairly well and think I've done my job. I really wanted to play a "clean" battle vs. Derek and I think I did - despite the +3 roll (Derek had already rolled +3 three other times prior to the big one and it was looking glum with his ability and luck. Near the marsh my subject warriors shoot a Reg D LMI bow unit away disordered. To the right of that I charge off a Nubian unit with a warrior unit and contact a MI Jls,Sh unit in column.

Bound 5: Luck swings my way. I charge the D bowmen unit with the Subject warriors routing them and causing 3 failed waivers and will rout the spearmen as well causing another waiver. Meanwhile, Derek's guard unit has charged my routing Eagle/Jag knights again to contact my lone Otomi unit at a halt. Derek rolls down and the Otomi roll +3 (+5) routing the guard unit. It is about to rout through the center of Derek's army and cause havoc. Derek concedes the game 5-2. What just happened??? A little rush, but a wait must be had for the other games to conclude.

I now wait the extra hour for the results. I realize that I probably don't have the adjusted numbers. I know I had a nice day with 15 points but I had a long hill to climb. I still can't believe I won it to tell the truth. I had some decent matchups - Elamite is fair, Italian Condotta is good, Ghaznavid is not great for me and Zulu was just not what I wanted. Derek is Derek with any army and his 27 unit army is daunting. Luck was kind to me, but I don't think I also gave him many opportunities to roll a flank. His luck was outstanding (he rolled +3 four times prior to the debacle) but not at the end. Funny that I won it with a big up roll with Otomi in 1995 and in 2017.

I am certainly pleased with the win. I want to enjoy this one for a while. I had some wonderfully friendly games in all 5 rounds - thanks for the sportsmanship guys. Off to paint parts of Christian Nubian, Kano-Borneo, and Early Bulgar for the upcoming year. Thanks again to Scott for umping and the "Reg Wine Gang" for the post-gaming conversation.

Todd

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:44 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the detailed write-ups, Todd. It gives me a more complete picture of what was happening throughout the day on Saturday. And I appreciate the tactical insights on playing a Meso-American army, even though I will never ever play one. Just not my thing.
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject:

I also want to point out that Rich (who placed 2nd at the end of day 2) also had 4 points at the end of day 1.

He had a great 2nd day and would love to hear from him what his battles were like.... hint, hint Rich

Todd

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Todd Kaeser wrote:
I also want to point out that Rich (who placed 2nd at the end of day 2) also had 4 points at the end of day 1.

He had a great 2nd day and would love to hear from him what his battles were like.... hint, hint Rich

Todd

Interesting. I played Rich in the first game on Saturday, and we played to a 3-3 draw (my recap of that game is earlier in this thread). So that means with two games remaining, Rich had 7 points and still finished 2nd.

The lesson here is never get discouraged. Tough going in the early and even middle rounds is not necessarily a barrier to a strong final placement.
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Pictures are up for the Bronze Age Theme, finally... (sorry for delay)

Best Camp award goes to the beautiful camp by Rich Kroupa - that begins the pictures of the Bronze Age theme. I may have mistakenly labeled pictures.... not as familiar with the armies.

Todd

scott holder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Todd. I left comments on some of the photos.
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Pictures of the NICT are now available in the Album section in order from start to finish. I tried to keep the battles grouped together if I had more than one picture so you could see the progression.

Todd

Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:37 am    Post subject:

I am really concerned....... I can't believe what I am reading....... This can't be what is happening.....I must be misunderstanding what is written......
Why does Todd's comments sound like me.... This is a horrifying thought.. Shocked
He just wants to have FUN playing. He wants to play armies he LIKES...... Does not want to get lost in the MINUTIA ........
God forbid that ToddK, the star of the Northeast, should turn into EdK......
This is a disaster of titanic proportions
I think is the sign of the end times........ Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: