Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to pick a list for warrior - my opinion (add yours)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> List Lore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: How to pick a list for warrior - my opinion (add yours)

Good Afternoon
I have been thinking a lot about lists and how we each build them, what we take and why. I will also talk about when I start building lists for Nationals and Themes -Typically in the car leaving Historicon I review what I liked, what I did not where I lost games and where I won them
After cold wars I sit down with about four concepts and build lists that seem intriguing, all to 1600 points, including all the mandatory troops, and then start refining in my head. To me the perfect list has only troops I have a planned role for, and none that are required but not desired.
By April I am typically down to two armies that I am considering, and then I go and pull the previous years nationals lists and consider how I would plan to play each one with my lists, and I look at the theme, knowing there will be some people who will just play their theme lists and some who will play theme killer lists (designed to beat up on the theme of the year). Also though I have not stated it am I going to enjoy the army - I love Macedonians and that period, for example, but am not a later medieval fan for example.
I need to be able to play both types - then I try to figure out what frontage I can cover, how, and what I would use against my army, and then how do I counter those strategies, note I try to never take a one dimensional army, as there is nothing worse than looking at your opponents army and then getting ready to go to the flea market.
Finally I play with points to maximize the strengths and minimize the weaknesses, while maintaining utility for all.
How do other folks do it?
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Very nice Robert - deep thoughts my friend.

These days I know what armies I am good at using and which ones I struggle with use. I know I like armies with regular troops - usually loose foot and often with a missile weapon - hence my love for Tepanec, Aztec, 100YW, Nubian Christian, KoSJ - even Berber has them. I also think Sicilian (H) is there as well. These armies also have what Robert is looking for - being multi-dimensional. Missile weapons are effective against almost all types of armies. I think Byzantines work in this category as well.
It also showed why I am a poor general with Abyssinian, Bulgar, etc...

I think Elephants are also a lot of fun to play with. I've used Khmer, Ghaznavid, and using them as supplemental troops with Macedonians and Nubians.

I usually have an idea running through my mind by now (Council of 5 Nations) and have, in the past, run my army choice there to get comfortable with. I usually put the army on the table in 15mm and run a few battles against myself to see how it works against likely opponents and for me to figure out spacing and such.

I am usually pretty by Cold Wars what I may be running (as baseball starts immediately afterwards and time is limited). Often running it here is a challenge as 1200 points isn't 1600 for most armies. When June rolls around I have the list and can send it to Scott then.

Todd

lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: How to pick a list for warrior - my opinion (add yours)

Thanks Todd- I have struggled with playing 15mm armies against myself, but have drawn out deployment to scale and seen if I can cover the table and how- my biggest shock is always the first time a put an army on the table, as it fits different to what I expect
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject:

After reading Robert's and Todd's missives. I realize I am probably the WORST developer of lists. When I make a list, I usually run it by MattK, ToddK. and DanW. They all give good comments, but I realize that I usually don't run my army like them. They are GOOD players. I am not.
Actually, maybe the main reason for writing this is to show HOW NOT TO PICK an army. I do think about my armies. I only have 6 armies. But each holds a special place and reason for me. For those who read my ravings, know I name my generals and they all have a history of their own.
BUT I do play to win, but winning for me is not why I play, I play for the story, the game , for a GOOD game. The worst thing for me is to be rolled over in one bound (and it has happened). One of my many faults in the game as MattK points out to me. I try to get every variant of the list. Since the Byzantines are my oldest army, I have just about every variant except Russ and I do have the figs, but I was talked out of using them. ( anyone want some Russ figs).
When I look at a list, I try to incorporate some units that I want to use. For example: Varangians, so I build my army around them. My latest list, list to use against ToddK's Bulgars. I want to use my LMI RegC, Jls,sh. Had the figs for years. Never used them. Now is the time.
Thinking about my list for C5N. Not sure. Was thinking of Artuous , Romano-Brits, but now maybe Feudal Germans: bring back Otto or Byzantines, get them warmed up for ToddK's Bulgars.
I am sure this doesn't help anyone but when I read Robert's and Todd's it got me to thinking. A dangerous thing for me. Sorry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> List Lore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: