Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

manuscript of Zulu v Nike Byzantine report to the Emperor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Battle Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:12 am    Post subject: manuscript of Zulu v Nike Byzantine report to the Emperor

Castle on the Danube:

The candles flickered and Timcorvinus raised his eyes from his reading to determine the cause. The hard riding boots of his Hungarian scouts sounded light upon the stone floors of the castle on the Danube.
Timcorvinus gaze formed a frown.
“Edwardus has left. His camp is gone.”
Timcorvinus faced changed to one of surprise.
“Edwardus….left…. Where has he gone?”
“I rode south. I saw his supply train entering the pass toward Bulgaria or maybe Greece.”
With a wave of his hand he dismissed the scout, who bowed and left the room.
Timcorvinus sat back and gripped the arms of his chair. What would cause his old teacher to leave?
It must be the emperor. Nothing less would draw him away. But what danger would cause such a stir to the emperor.

Some time later deep in the Byzantine North African province:

Edwardus walked out of his tent and surveyed his camp. Surprised that he was called so far south after lately leaving the northern border of the empire. They had marched south into the Peloponnese and took boat to Alexandria. There they had almost force march along the Red Sea and approached the lands of Ethopia.
Suddenly, he heard steps behind him. Michael and Demetri, his trusted companions, drew near.
“Edwardus!, I am not sure if we are still in Byzantine territory.”
“Demetri! The world is Byzantine.” Michael replied smiling.
Edwardus also laughed and added. “At least part of the world. But more importantly, what have your scouts brought back?”
Michael pointed out south of the camp. “They are there. The emperor was correct. Those barbarians swam over the land. They move fast and the sounds of their regiments can be heard from some distance. They are forming up just beyond the wood and that rough area.”
“What does the field look like?”
“There are two woods. This one just before the camp and another one to the middle right of the field. The rough is just beyond this wood to our front. It is more in their deployment area.”
Edwardus turned and said. “My command will take the right and center of the field. You, Michael, will be to my left. Since you have the most Light troops, Skirmish, fire and delay. I will also skirmish and hopefully find a hole to break through. Demetri, circle around the left, try to roll up their line and if all goes well, we will meet in their camp.”
“See you there!” Demetri stated and marched off.
“This is going to take some finesse.” Michael quipped
“They are all foot. We are mostly cavalry. We are mostly bows. We should shoot them up and drive home with our Heavy cav.”
“Wasn’t it your son, Mateos, who stirred up this hornet’s nest?”
“Yes and no. The emperor sent him to this kingdom, hoping to make allies and foster trade with them. But it changed radically. Once the Zulus realized that there was rich land to the north. They immediately started the move north. I talked to Mateos in Greece before we left. He came back to warn the emperor and he just escape with his life. He did say that they are tough and disciplined fighters. He also mentioned something about resilience against bow fire (Banta rule). We will see. Now deploy your command ‘For cross and emperor.”
Michael saluted, turned and strode away.

#2 Nike Byzantine
Warm
Edwardus RgA,HC,L,B,sh+HC,L,B,sh
Cav Archers,LC,RegC,B
Cav Archers,LC,RegC,B
Penchnegs LC I/C 1/2 Jls,B,sh,
1/2 B
Kav,HC,RegB,L,B,sh
Kav,HC,RegB,L,B,sh
Kav,HC,RegB,L,B,sh
Kats EHC,RegB,L,sh
Psiloi,LI,RegC,B,sh

Michael RgA EHC,L,B,sh+EHC,L,B,sh
Kav,HC,RegB,L,B,sh
Cav Archers,LC,RegC,B
Tuldum,IrD,LI,S
Psiloi RgD,LMI,B,1/2sh
Psiloi RgC,LI,Jls,sh

Demitri RgA EHC,L,B,sh+EHC,L,B,sh
Kav,HC,RegB,L,B,sh
Kav,HC,RegB,L,B,sh
Cav Archers,LC,RegC,B
Tuldum,IrD,LI,S

Don’t have Zulu list but they had 16 units. One big LI bow unit.
Rest LMI in regiment of 2El and maybe 4 or 6El .

The Battle:

Edwardus rode out toward the middle of the field. He shouted commands to his unit commanders.
“Send the Penchnegs to the far right on the other side of the wood. LI bow keep the wood safe and hold.
Constantine, form up your EHC on the left shoulder of the wood. My red, blue and green HC units will be next to you and LC will be on their left. With the 4El LC to their left, I will be between the two LC slightly back.
Michael’s command will finish off the line. He and his LC will be the right of the second wood. With the LI slingers and Psiloi LMI bow finishing the line. Demetri will swing around the left with his command. Will try to skirmish and fire at them. Then when they are disordered. Drive home with Byzantine lance and steel and break their center. They are only LMI.”
“We will see what Mateos said about their resistance to fire (banta rule).” Kosta, his aide,warned.

Edwardus marched to the middle of the field (outscouted the Zulu). But the Zulu regiments raced to the front. The sound of their chant in unison resonated over the field. It was unnerving. They came on so quickly. The HC released their bows. Nothing happened and soon Edwardus had to signal the attack. The three HC units of red, green and blue drove home. Two piled into one regiment, the other into another. The single HC become disordered and broke off. The other two, hoping to route the regiment only recoiled the regiment but stuck. Constantine realizing that he must cover the HC. Charged in with his EHC unit against the next regiment. He also recoiled them and managed to expand. Edwardus’s LC moved up and soon joined the fight with the HC that had broke off. The fighting was intense. Regiments soon were trying to swallow up the HC. LC charged flanks but the Zulus were tough. Edwardus soon realized that he also had to cover his totally envolved HC and LC. He also drove home impetuously against the next regiment.
Michael seeing the banner of Edwardus swiftly advancing into the enemy, knew he had to cover his commander’s flank. He raised his mace and also changed into the next regiment impetuously. His LC tried in vain to weaken the enemy with bow fire.

Meanwhile, Demetri trying to squeeze around the left forced the Zulu’s to turn their flank and he could see that one of the Zulu commanders racing to shore up the left. Unfortunately, the withering fire of the zulu bow took its toll in the HC.

Concurrently Michael slams into the Zulu Regiment and routes them. Finally, he looks to his left only to see two Zulu regiment overrunning his command of LI and LMI. Instantly, Zulus swam around him.

Edwardus finally routing the regiment to his front, surveys the field. His HC, EHC and LC are totally enmeshed in a life and death struggle with the Zuiu. He sees two Zulu regiments routing off, but the cost to his command is telling. Soon the HC will route. Even with routing two regiment. Zulus still swam around the field. Suddenly, Kosta cries.
“Edwardus, Michael!!!”
He turns sorrowfully to see the banner of Michael fall. He crosses himself. “I hope he makes it back. Then he looks beyond.
His face-hardens.
“Michael’s command is broken.” Kosta reports sadly.
“Demetri is our only hope.” Edwardus murmurs.

Demetri is also hard pressed. The Zulu regiment he faced advanced rapidly and shot his EHC unit and disordered them. His two HC units are also disordered from fire. But Demetri was not be deterred. He drove him and managed to shake the commander unit. However, his disordered unit was soon overrun.

Word soon reached Edwardus that the day was lost. He sounded the retreat. The Zulus were too blooded to press further.

Zullu’s 5pts
Byz 3pts
RaphaelC
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject:

Ed,

Another excellent report.

Having just read on 'Phil on ancients' blog about their defeat of the Anglo-Irish these Zulus seem well able to handle a wide range of opponents, or at least in the hands of a very capable commander they do!

What was the fate of Michael, did he make it back to Byzantium?

Regards,

Raphael
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:46 am    Post subject:

Thanks for your reply!
I really appreciate them.
And yes Michael did make it back. He was wounded in the fight but his retinue managed to carry him back. He is recovering.
Edwardus and his army are moving back to the Danube to face off with Timcorvinus. There is unfinished business there.
Again thanks. It is heartening to know someone actually reads these rambling of my imagination.
And yes. The Zulus are tough. I found quickly that the Banta rule really makes it hard to shot them down. My bow and sling fire was VERY ineffective. I was really surprised when my two HC lance bow plowed into that one Zulu unit and it just recoiled them... I was expecting a route. I rolled even.
One thing that helped was that since they are LMI they have to take a waver test for being charged by cav. It did not work a whole lot because everyone are Reg B or A..
I also read Phil's report. It was great. He is my mentor. Just have to get the pic. better.
MattK does well with them. I am not a great player, but it was a real fight fest.
EdK
RaphaelC
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Ed,

Glad he made it back, and it is only his banner and not his head now adorning a Zulu Kraal.

I tend to read most game reports, but don't comment perhaps quite as much as I should do.

Phil may be your mentor, but at least your Generals don't yet come in for the verbal abuse his always seem to Shocked

Must have been quite a shock to see Byzantine's finest succumb to men wearing just feathers and loin cloths.

Regards,

Raphael
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject:

Well!
We Byzantinophil's are more polite and civilized. Phil, although a super guy, is much more flamboyant...
Yes we, Byzavtinophils are very upset that uncivilized tribes pushed us back but there leader is someone to be respected.
Thanks . Love the response.
Ek
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Battle Reports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: