Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Almogavars figures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Painting and Modeling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject: Almogavars figures

Hi.
Does anyone make Almogavar figurers.?????
Any figs that would be good to morph into them.
EK
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject:

Yes. I'll see if I can dig them out and post a picture. I believe they're Old Glory, not advertised as Almughuvars, but a pretty good fit nonetheless.
scott holder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Eureka makes em in 28mm:

http://eurekamin.com.au/index.php?cPath=87_126_706&sort=3a

I've not painted these but have some of their other stuff. Very pretty, very 28mm (big).

I'd wait on what Mark pulls up from Old Glory.

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:20 am    Post subject:

Here's a stand of my Almughuvars. I believe I have 10 stands painted in total. These might even be French Brigan figures under Old Glory, but as long as they have the hoods down you really can't tell the difference, and I love the active poses. They were also, like most Old Glory figures, sufficiently contoured for even my meager painting skills to do something halfway decent with.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/knOwZsKAFUCcU81F3
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:35 am    Post subject:

So I think these might have been Breton Bidet figures from Old Glory. Navigating their site it's:
Home » 25mm Figures » Historical » Dark & Middle Ages » The Hundred Years War » The Battles of Crecy & Poitiers

If you want a direct link it's http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/proddetail.asp?prod=HCW-17
scott holder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject:

I looked at who makes em in 15mm in order to increase our representative sample size.

Both Essex and Eureka make em and the key features for the figs that are clearly not present on the Old Glory "Breton Bidets" is the headgear and the furry vests. My guess is both lines relied heavily on Ian Heath's representation of them in the old WRG books. Which is fine.

Essex has the best photos of painted Moogs:
https://www.essexminiatures.co.uk/products/xmed7

Again, 15mm but it gives you an idea of how they should look.

That initially brought me back to Eureka as being the only technically accurate source but when scrolling thru various blog postings pertaining to 15mm Moogs, I saw that Irregular made em.

Of course Irregular never makes things easy when trying to find something on their web page but lo and behold:
http://www.irregularminiatures.co.uk/25mmRanges/25mmMedievals.htm

Scroll down and the first photo below the sub-section titled:

Quote:
Feudals (1100 - 1300 A.D.)
For lots of useful Medieval types, such as P 34 Calalan Almaguvar below, see our personalities range

And there you go, five Moogs in different poses. Again, Irregular doesn't have any coherent approach to things so you have to go to the Personalities range to see the same photo:
http://www.irregularminiatures.co.uk/25mmRanges/25mmPersonality.htm

P34 is the figure code. What I don't know is if Irregular Moogs (spelled "Almuguvar"--no wonder they don't show up on internet searches, again Irregular never makes things easy) have been remodeled. Most of my vast Irregular collection is their old stuff. People generally hated Irregs because unpainted they looked horrible (and had serious casting issues with weak ankles). But I've gotten tons of compliments over the years on my various Irregular-based armies. The usual "THOSE are Irregulars? Never knew they painted up that well". I digress.

Most of the line has been remodelled so the sculpts are a bit different, the weak ankle issues seemingly have gone away but the end result is a 28mm figure line. If you look in their Medievals line it clearly states everything there has been remodeled except Timurids but it's unclear if that extended to the P34 Moog figures shown there and in the Personalities range.

It probably doesn't matter. I'd go with Irreg. Get some distinctive Moog figures. Don't get me wrong, Mark's approach works fine in that Moogs aren't widely available and he at least got something generically medieval that capture the essence of Moogs. But, it's always nice when the opportunity presents itself to use some different figures and in this case, something incredibly useful on the table and you can say they're actually Moog figures.

Contact Jake about an order.

Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject:

Thanks guys. Really appreciate it.
Who would think Ed the Rash would want Mogs???
EK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Painting and Modeling All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: