Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Basics for Medieval armies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Basics for Medieval armies

Looking at building up my medieval collection. I'll have the following painted or in queue.

7 knight units
6E HK/HC Lancers
24E MI LTS,Sh
24E LMI Jls,Sh (or such)
16E LI B
6E LI Jls,Sh
4E LC Jls,Sh
8E LMI CB
6E dismounted K

What else should I be looking to acquire to flesh out my medievals?

Todd

scott holder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject:

Bombards and Reg loose order longbowmen assuming you don't already have them.
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Oh - forgot that I have some 12E of painted LMI B/LB - they are generic enough to be Anglo-Irish or even some militia for English/Free-Company but may even serve as Reg Prussian LMI B guys.

Probably need 6E more of LI Jls,Sh

Close foot?

Maybe 8E close CB?
4E Reg LMI Jls,Sh?

Todd

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject:

There are a few broad categories here:

* Defensive armies with a lot of shooters. You already have KoStJ so I'll skip over that. The other armies in this category would be 100YWE, Early Burgundian, War of the Roses English, Free Companies. You probably want at least 96 longbowmen to play any of these, and probably more like 120. Figure out how to represent Brigans (a mix of close/loose order with a mix of 2HCT or JLS, some shielded, some not, maybe some with Pavisse).

* Knight armies with an abundance of light troops. You'll need more LI with bow, and more LC, generally with bow and some with JLS and/or shields additionally. You probably want to make sure you have 32 - 48 LMI bowmen also. Armies in this category include Sicilian Hohenstafen, Grenadine, Paleologan Byzantine (early or late), Wallachian, Teutonic Knights (probably Early), and Polish (Early or Late). A secondary consideration with this type is representing a Mongol Ally, which means in addition to the LC, some amount of Mongol-looking L,B,Sh types.

* Knight armies that use a Swiss Ally. This is likely to be either Early Burgundian or Italian Condotta, but you'll need the quirky loose order Swiss P / 2HCT guys, enough LI CB, and enough LI HG.

* Armies that use Almughuvars. You'll need 36 or so LMI that can reasonably represent Almughuvars. For this it's good to have some LMI JLS without shields (which can also stand in for some of the Brigans; see above). Armies in this category include Italian Condotta, Grenadine, Medieval Spanish, Romanian Frank, and Later Paleologan Byzantine.

* Knights with a mix of questionable foot. Some close order guys with LTS and Sh, probably some guys with 2HCT also, and some loose order guys with JLS, some unshielded, some shielded. A bunch of LI CB, and maybe some loose order guys with CB or HG. Armies in this category are Feudal French, Medieval French, Scots Common Army, and anything Germanic. Of these Feudal French is probably the most balanced, Scots Common Army is sturdy but unwieldy, and Medieval French is, in my opinion, under-rated. If you go that direction, play the Late period when the French remembered how to win -- Joan of Arc and beyond. Take a Scottish Ally so that you get some of those points-efficient SHK/EHK units, and a contingent of those Irr C HI/MI LTS,Sh guys that always fight in two ranks. Throw in the Irr A SHK with a screen of lots of little LI CB units and you've got an army that's tougher than people give it credit for.

Oh, and if you're playing against me, for whatever list you settle on, please take all the close CB the list allows. I could use the easy points.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: