Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Arab Conquest - 1200 pts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:33 pm    Post subject: Arab Conquest - 1200 pts

This army has been a favorite of mine that I have played a few times in tournament play and obviously for fun as well. Steve Rawls and I talk often about the Arabic armies and their merits. This one is certainly more irregular than most and uses Irreg A as well.

1200 points is also a fun look - most armies have gaps in talent, board coverage, punch, etc..... Very hard to have a perfect army at 1200 points.

Arab Conquest
1198 points 41 scouting

CinC 2E Ir B HC L,Sh + PA 160
2E disguised Camels Ir A MCm L,Sh 67
2E disguised Camels Ir A MCm L,Sh 67
6E Anti-Elephant Party Ir A LMI Jls,B,Sh 133
9E Arab Foot Ir C (3A) LMI Jls,Sh 130
6E Arab Spearmen Ir C (1A) LTS,Sh 105
6E Arab Spearmen Ir C (1A) LTS,Sh 105
6E Arab Archers Ir C LI B ½ Sh 55
6E Arab Archers Ir C LI B ½ Sh 55
6E Javelinmen Ir C (1A) LI Jls,Sh 65

Bedoin Sub 2E Ir B HC/MC L,Sh + P 94
4E Bedoin Cav Ir B LC Jls,Sh 81
4E Bedoin Cav Ir B LC Jls,Sh 81

The Light Cavalry is not all that great obviously - BUT Irreg B helps. The spear are solid and have the A element in it for eagerness. The Anti-elephant parties face elephants the best (elephants get -2 vs. this unit) and are A throughout. One big-ish LMI unit with some A frontage also is fun.

The Camels are also fun - starting on board as Cavalry (making sure you move them 120 p for movement) and then springing them on your opponent and being A is also interesting.

Just a fun army.

Todd

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:48 am    Post subject:

Well, 1200 point armies are, of necessity, more 1 dimensional than 1600 point armies. I like the fact that there are some Irr A crazy foot here who can threaten, and some camels that can at least mitigate the impact that shock mounted have on those foot.

So how can this work?

Keep the camels around the LTS foot, that way mounted don't really want to tangle with them. Between starting out disordered and facing Irr A, that's just not a good bet.

The anti-elephant party is pretty sweet, and will do exactly that: strike fear into enemy elephants. And overall there's enough loose order foot here to operate in any terrain. So that's good.

But really, what's the winning plan here? If you are under Attack or Probe orders, a smart opponent will tease the Irr As into tired, and then mop them up. And if you're under hold or wait, you're letting your opponent line up the perfect matchups before closing with you. And let's face it, when your best weapons are LTS and JLS foot, those perfect matchups are definitely going to exist.

A fun "B" list at 1200 points, but going to win any tournaments.
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Certainly tough for sure but one never knows.

Tim Brown was the best with this list. In 1600 points he ran a few units of bowmen with camels (to use as tethered obstacle).

I've run it differently with large blocks of close bowmen and some all spear and allow my opponent to tackle the big units and having lots of cheap HC or MCm counterattacks on tired and disordered troops.

Todd

Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Todd Kaeser wrote:
Quote:

Certainly tough for sure but one never knows.

Tim Brown was the best with this list. In 1600 points he ran a few units of bowmen with camels (to use as tethered obstacle).

I've run it differently with large blocks of close bowmen and some all spear and allow my opponent to tackle the big units and having lots of cheap HC or MCm counterattacks on tired and disordered troops.

Todd

As Mark said, and I've done frequently, tempt the As into rash charges, when tired, kill...there's nothing 'special' here, but then again, a second string list. Burnnnnn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: