Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cold Wars 2020 AAR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott holder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:35 pm    Post subject: Cold Wars 2020 AAR

Mini:

1) Tom Barkus, EIR, 11 (22)
2) Rich Kroupa, Free Company, 11 (21)
Scott McDonald, Mongols, 11 (21)
4) Greg Houser, Sultanate of Delhi, 11 (17)
5) Sean Scott, Normans, 8
6) Scott Holder, Boran Norse Irish, 7
7) Mark Stone, Early Saxon, 4
8) Alex Stone, Feudal French, 2

Doubles:

1) Greg Hauser & Sean Scott, Romano-British, 13
2) Rich Kroupa & Scott Holder, Anglo-Danish, 12
3) Scott McDonald & Mike Kelly, Norman, 9
4) Mark Stone & Alex Stone, 2

scott holder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm    Post subject:

Know Your Rules.

Round 2 it's Anglo-Danish vs Romano British.

Left flank one of our Thegn/Fyrd units is engaged with one of the Irr A EHC. Flank mark arrives, some crappy loose order foot blob. We have 2HCW-armed Viking Bowmen facing them. Charge decs. We're informed we can't go impetuously because we're Irr C and unsupported. That's true except if you read Barbarian Foot Rule #3:

A body of Barbarian Infantry with more than 8 elements is eager while any friendly body that does not include LC and/or LI within 240 paces is charging in the current bound or already in H-T-H combat and not broken or shaken.

So, our unit should have been able to go impetuously. Based on the die roll, the opposing unit would have recoiled off the board, 1/2 points for us. Just as importantly, it would have opened a gap so that our Viking AG could have charged the EHC unit engaged with the Thegn/Fyrd unit. With even rolls, it would not have resulted in a rout but next turn we would have ground the EHC unit into dust.

All of which would have changed the entire complexion of the game. We still had stuff over there, opponents did not. What turned into a 3-2 was probably a 5-1 or 5-2 IF WE'D REMEMBERED THE FRIGGIN RULE!!!!! Embarassed

This is an occupational hazard with these rules and how we've grafted stuff like Barbarian Infantry Rules (and others) onto them. Nobody can be expected to remember all this crap particularlly as infrequently as many of us play and as we age.

We still had a good time. Very Happy

scott holder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Some of you on Facebook have seen a variation of what I'm about to descibe.

Lampeter Friday morning and I’ve coordinated with the convention staff regarding tables I can have to move up to the friggin Showroom. Obviously I didn’t need them but as of Friday morning, I still had no idea. Perhaps if one of the main tournaments had actually responded to my emails about the status of their event, I wouldn’t have been so focused on getting tables.

Of course if the Host had done their friggin job in the first place, none of this would have happened.

I didn’t have a cart or anything to move the tables so took a totally unsuited chair cart thingie as a substitute. I had maybe 5 tables on there when they slid off and came crashing to the floor, one of which hit me hard on the left side, torso about a 1/3 of the way up from by waist. Hurt like hell but I figured it was just a bad bruise. For the rest of Friday and Saturday, that seemed to be the case.

Saturday night as I’m going to bed, I move (nothing bizarre, just moved) and felt a really subtle twinge as if something “gave” in the sore spot. Then the pain ratcheted up to 8-9. Spent and agonizing night and a not better Sunday. My flight outta BWI wasn’t until 9pm so I didn’t get back my house in Denver until 12:30am Monday morning. Tried to go to bed but couldn’t get prone, it hurt that bad. So off I went to the ER.

Six hours, X-rays, a CT scan and ultrasound later, the diagnosis was: broken #11 lateral rib.

Sunday morning I wandered around the Host and the dealer area. To the untutored it might have looked as if I was saying goodbye to the place. Far from it. I was saying good riddance and that was before I discovered I’d broken a rib primarily because they couldn’t do their fucking jobs right. So the next time somebodya gets all pissy about leaving the Host, tell em how a volunteer broke a goddamned rib making sure gamers like them had the best possible experience in a craptastic venue.

Heh heh, see y’all at Hcon!

scott

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:59 am    Post subject:

I'm sure they walk among us, but I don't know anyone who is sorry to leave the Host Resort. What a dump. What a slow motion dumpster fire it has been for years now. Onward. And so sorry for your injury.
scott holder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject:

I'm guessing more than a few of you looked at the Mini results with a raised eyebrow. Here's the backstory.

The Stones, Rich, Sean and me had a late-ish dinner (and beer!) across US-30 at the Lancaster Brewing Tap House Thu night. Sean, Rich and myself had played a Doubles practice game when Mark and Alex showed up.

Over food and beer, Alex asked the age old question "So, when are you gonna fix the Romans?" We chuckled "I've only been working that issue for 20 years". We tossed around some ideas. They put forth things like letting legionaries tac move 120p, March on 3, etc. One interesting idea was to allow Auxiliary elements to count 1 SP each (like HC).

Next day, Tom shows up with EIR! Okay, this was too good a chance to pass up. We knew attendance would be light, things were bizarre enough with everybody bailing because of the plague. With everybody around (except Tom oddly enough) I asked if anybody would mind if we did some last minute ad-hoc additions for the Romans. We'd use some in the first Round, then if we thought we needed more, we make some up for the second round and so on.

First Round rules we added:

--100 extra points. When in doubt, weight. Mark figured the cost of a 4E Reg C Legionary unit was right so we rounded down. Tom only used 70 some points to add a unit of bowmen.
--Auxiliary counted as 1SP per element.
--Legionaries move 120p, march 3

Tom played Mark in Round 1. Won. We decided we didn't need to add anything. He played me in Round 2. Won. Once we knew who he would play in Round 3, Rich running Free Company, we added a 4th rule:

--Fulcum/circulating treated as New World Warrior. This meant he could go into Fulcum and circulate counting as LTS (not HTW) in the second bound.

They played to a 1-1 tie and Tom won overall on the tie break. Rich indicated that he'd normally have just rolled over the legionaries with his SHK but the "went to ground" in Fulcum. Sure, he could have dismounted some, charged in, then gone in with mounted SHK and he considered that but didn't think he had the time.

Now, is any of this permament? No. But we decided to take an outside-the-box weekend and run with it and literally everybody won as a result. This gives me enough to chew on and see how we might implement some of it going forward. It doesn't mean everybody will show up with EIR in an Open event but anything can help.

scott

ghauser90
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject:

There us one problem with your “know your rules” ( which Rich K. Did know)post. The unit you believed was eager due to Barbarian rules in fact was not. He had 2 causes of unease;1) unsupported on his left flank 2) unbroken enemy behind his flank within 240 paces, thereby cancelling his eagerness.
scott holder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Not according to Rich. He emailed me Sunday night while I was throbbing in broken rib pain at the airport with the account as I wrote.

Heh heh, another occupational hazard in this game is how people remember things. I've been on the umping end of that for decades. Y'all claim to have elephantine memories about crap like this. This just happens to be one of the rare instances where I experienced it as a player.

Oh, and one of the memes of the weekend was the phrase "Greg Mode". Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: