Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ice Rules

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:59 pm    Post subject: Ice Rules

Good day all,

As I remember playing them at the theme a year ago.

The Ice ponds/lakes were a big splash (pun intended). Here is what I remember and then we can get an official posting of these rules

Breaking through the ice:

Any moment that takes part of a unit 40 paces or more onto the ice will dice from breaking through.

Roll a d6 - if a 1 is rolled roll again. If a 1 or 2 is rolled on the second die roll the unit breaks through. The entire unit is lost. Assuming a rout of sorts if partial is lost but the unit is considered all lost. Any units within 120p of the lost unit must test waiver as if they saw a rout. LI breaking through therefore do not cause a waiver as usual for waivers, nor do expendables. If a unit breaks through the place where the unit has broken through is not considered impassible.

Combat on the ice:

When a unit charges into contact they roll for breakthrough. If breaking through both units are lost - with waivers if appropriate.

At the end of each round of combat on the ice each unit rolls for breakthrough (if neither are pushed back, if either is pushed back, breakthrough, etc....) If breaking through both units are lost - with waivers if appropriate.

If a unit is broken and routs: At the end of pursuit moves each unit rolls. If units remain in contact at the end of the rout/pursuit moves and a breakthrough occurs both units are lost. If breaking through both units are lost - with waivers if appropriate. If the router is not contacted: If router falls through the pursuer does not. If the pursuer falls through they breakthrough at the end of the rout and that remains impassible and any waiver tests take place due to the loss of the unit.

Marching across the ice - if uncontested each march segment is diced for if ending 40p or more on the ice. If breakthrough waiver test if appropriate for unit loss.

Todd Kaeser

Last edited by Todd Kaeser on Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan Woyke
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:11 pm    Post subject:

I love these Rules!

the only one who loves them more than me is FRANK!

Gilson ICE rules
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:11 am    Post subject: ice

they cost me a chance at one tournament and ewan a shot at nationals - i am not a fan
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject:

I think this accurately represents the original Ice rules, but I also remember that players' reaction was to just not go on the ice because it was too risky. So I believe we modified it to be that you only diced when charging, counter-charging, pursuing, routing, recoiling, or following up.

Also -- and I don't know that we ever answered this -- what terrain type is ice? Frank's proposal is that we treat the shore of the ice lake like the edge of a minor water feature.
jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Ice rule comments

I remember these from the theme, I do remember one comment that seemed reasonable was that on the second die roll, light troops could only fall through through ice on a 1 while much heavier troops such as elephants, SHK, and SHC would fall through on 1 - 3.

I remember Frank diligently avoiding the ice convinced that his units would fall through and trying to avoid it. I promptly sent cheap IB MC L Sh across the ice at his CinC, both charged, and sure enough the ice cracked and both fell through.
jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Ice rule comments

I remember these from the theme, I do remember one comment that seemed reasonable was that on the second die roll, light troops could only fall through through ice on a 1 while much heavier troops such as elephants, SHK, and SHC would fall through on 1 - 3.

I remember Frank diligently avoiding the ice convinced that his units would fall through and trying to avoid it. I promptly sent cheap IB MC L Sh across the ice at his CinC, both charged, and sure enough the ice cracked and both fell through.
jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: double post error

Sorry for the double post, the forum was being buggy
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:29 pm    Post subject:

Well...our rule book classifies water as
Major Water Feature
or
Minor Water Feature

Right now our 'frozen lake' is neither.

The rules, when addressing frozen water, assume that it is either Minor or Major...so, we can't really use the rules to determine certain things without classifying the frozen lake as one or the other, or making up a 3rd category (which by default we seem to have done).

Major Water Feature : If we went this way, then the frozen surface would count as Rough (like Brush).

Minor Water Feature : If we went that way, then the shoreline could be a defended obstacle, but the interior would be 'open'.

So you can see a difficulty with classifying the frozen lake we use as either...

If Major, then you're not sending close troops in there...nor are you sending chariots, nor charging over it into things with your mounted.

If Minor, then you and your opponent defend your respective shorelines and sit there.

Not to mention the chance of falling in when moving farther in than 40p.

No, larger/heavier troops should not increase chance of falling in as...no one would send them on there.
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:10 pm    Post subject:

So here's what I'm going to use for our Roll20 1200 point tourney. This is tournament-specific, not an official rule, not even an official X-rule:
* Frozen lake is open space for purposes of movement, visibility, and combat, with the following exceptions:
** Troops charging, counter-charging, pursuing, following up, recoiling, or routing must roll to see whether they fall through the ice.
** A roll of 1 on a d6, followed by a roll of 1 or 2 on a d6, indicates falling through.
** Any unit falling through is destroyed, and any unit in contact with a unit falling through is also falling through (thus a chain reaction could result).
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: roll20 tournament?

When is the tournament?
jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: When or where does the fall through occur?

The Tuareg CinC out in the middle of the frozen lake on table 5 charged some LMI cowering on the shore of the lake. I rolled 2 1s and the CinC fell in, yeah for me! Smile I assumed that the breakthrough location was at the start of the charge, but reading how the rules are written, maybe we did that wrong. Did the fall through happen at the end thus sucking the LMI off the shore and into the breakthrough too?

I made a frozen lake breakthrough token and left it on table 5 to memorialize my frozen swimming camels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: