Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cold Wars 2021
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott holder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Cold Wars 2021

Event submission started today, 18 Nov. That's not really a concern to us but it does kick off my job as overall Tournament Coordinator for the con and of course the Warrior ump.

First question is will anybody attend? I've told HMGS that if Cold Wars 2021 is a repeat of Cold Wars 2020, I'm not going back. Moreover, since I have to fly, unless things radically change in the meantime, I'm not going back because I'm not flying. Hell, my job won't fly us anyplace and I typically fly quite a bit for work since I moved to Denver. Thus, if my employer isn't willing to do that, I sure ain't willing to take that chance for minimal attendance for Warrior.

Something else that might affect your decision, we will not be able to run Doubles. HMGS has to abide by the MD health department regs for The Plague Times. Here's what they sent out:

--Games limited to 4 participants, 1 GM and 3 players (I don't see that as an issue for us)
--Table units are set to 5' x 6'--no exceptions (this is a big deal for us)
--Table units must be set apart for social distancing and may not be moved (no big deal for us)
--Masks required at all times

The second bullet point means no Doubles and no 1600 Point singles. Therefore, what I'd do for events would be the Modified Fast Warrior setup I've been dying to run for years now happening on Friday. On Saturday, we'd do the Mini. I can figure out specific scheduling details later.

Again, I'm not doing any of this unless it appears we're going to get a decent turnout. And by decent I mean 14+ players committing to both days, or a combination of 14+ players on either day.

Lemme know what you think. For once, there are no wrong answers here. Smile

scott

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject:

HMGS made this an easy decision for me when they changed the date to April. Cold Wars now overlaps with Spring Break, which is traditional vacation time for me and my family. So I will not be attending.

I'm happy to run a virtual Warrior event on Roll20 in the event that in person is simply impractical or impossible. That would at least give us the opportunity to organize some sort of team play.
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: Probably not?

A lot of good would have to occur by then...such as most folks vaccinated and a climb down of Covid cases with all the numbers headed in the right direction.

Thus, no decision for now, decision likely in February/early March, but I don't anticipate attending.

Frank
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Cold wars

With those restrictions I wont be attending - doubles, 1600 points are high on my list of wants - but so much will change between now and then. I would advocate for a May event maybe in New England - assuming the current wave is behind us where we could play as described - but even that would need a dramatic improvement on current status
theblackprince
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject:

5 months out is a very long time in this environment. I agree it will depend on caseloads, unrestricted access to vaccine etc. It may not be possible to commit within the time-frame the con is looking for. Perhaps explore moving the doubles to the Friday of Historicon instead of the summer theme? I have a better feeling about Historicon in July timing-wise, but it ultimately all speculation.
ghauser90
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject:

Hello All, I was planning on making the drive up from Florida regardless of the tournement format. My intent is to combine this trip with visiting family so was planning on traveling even if thevwholevthing goes south
scott holder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Summer theme remains. I don't budge on the Friday theme slot.
scott holder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject:

I also just noted the dates. That conflicts with The Masters and while I didn't hit the ticket lottery this year, I binge watch it like nobody's business.

That's another big negative as far as me attending. I'm not saying "no" just yet but...

sscott04
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject:

I had planned on attending if I can vaccinated by then as I would have to go into three airports. Also, with the change in dates, I have to see if if it fits my teaching schedule. If you need more definitive answer from me, I guess I should be counted as a no. As noted previously, things can change rapidly in this environment. I am more hopeful for Historicon.
RFKroupa
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:18 am    Post subject:

Looks like a lot of downside and not much upside for Cold Wars.
jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Warrior and the Master's

Out of curiosity, do a lot of us play gold and watch golf as well? Just curious because there are a lot of nice gold courses in the area.
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject:

I would LOVE to go, but I'm concerned that we're not in the right timeline for vaccinations by April....

I have baseball obligations for coaching but could work around it. I would play any format at this point - it is not about the playing as much as the friendship and gathering at this point for me.

Seems like a 5% chance of having it in April.

Looking forward to Historicon. I'd be happy to ump as usual for the theme and play if needed.

Todd

scott holder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Please keep the comments coming.

Like Todd, I like getting together across the table. I also have enjoyed being a regular Doubles participant the last several years with Ewan and Rich but not having that wouldn't be a deterrent to going back.

FWIW, as Tournament Coordinator for Cold Wars, of the GMs that have gotten back to me, *none* of them will be submitting games and almost all of those who have responded aren't even going. The GM for ADLG, who would probably bring in 30 or so players normally (they had around 20 at Cold Wars 2020 and were the only contingent of any size to show up, followed by us) is polling his base. Of course if they all want to show up, that's fine, it doesn't change what we do.

At this point, I'm not going because the reasons stated and the shitty date. Scott McDonald will be there so again, if enough people express a commitment *now* about going (see Greg's post above), then I'll submit a slate of events. But if I'm getting most of what I'm getting now, I won't submit anything. Or if I do, I'll submit basically what I've stated above saying it's a "casual tournament" or something. Scott McD will be there so if we even have 4-6 players show up, you'd at least have space and expectation of playing some Warrior over the course of two days.

Again, if you haven't commented yet, please do.

Assuming Hcon comes off as we hope for, then it'll be NICT on Thu/Sat and the Elephant Theme on Friday. And I'll be there.

scott

ghauser90
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject:

Hey Scott's(MacDonald or Holder) Due to the table size limitation is it possible to run tournements in 15mm. That only requires a 6' X 4' table( within the current Cold Wars Restrictions). I'm not sure how much 15mm lead is still out there. Maybe we could entice Dave Dietrich to come .
scott holder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Greg, going that route you'd then want what point size? I assume you're looking at this for Doubles.

It's an idea worth considering. Could do the Mini in 25mm per usual, then Doubles at 2000pts.

Still probably won't change a lot of minds but sure we can put that on the table. Folks, if you're like Rob T and won't come because of the format, this is a way to get around that issue.

I will say that while this would follow the guidelines of no more than 4 people at a table, it's so against social distancing guidelines that makes we wonder. In fact, one of the GMs who replied this week said one issue he had with tourneys in this environment was you're basically inside with people all day. Doubles is a slog, 12 hour event particularly if you play against somebody who *never* concedes, always plays to or past the 4-hour time limit. It's a risk factor everyone should consider.

At least my initial idea, Fast Warrior on Friday and Mini on Saturday, is far better from a public health/risk perspective.

I converted a lot of my 15mm lead to play Hybrid DBA but I could still put 2000pts of ancient Spanish on a table...if I came back and that's just not gonna happen.

scott

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: