Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roll20 - The Balkan League, A Late Byzantine Virtual Event

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Roll20 - The Balkan League, A Late Byzantine Virtual Event

Welcome to our next virtual Warrior event! This theme will feature Late Byzantine armies, allies, and enemies, covering the period from the rise of the Ottoman Empire until the Ottomans were firmly established in the Balkans, at Byzantine expense, in the late 14th century.

We are opening registration today; please sign up here.

We'll kick off play this Friday, after Thanksgiving. We expect this event to have 3 rounds, with the usual scoring system, preset terrain, and the usual deployment rules, and to wrap up around the end of January. We find that a leisurely pace makes the most sense for all of us amidst our busy lives.

See the attached spreadsheet for the eligible lists and the proposed weighting of those lists. Note that both eligible lists and weighting are subject to change as we finalize details this week.

We'll start things with the following schedule, and the following rules for keeping us on schedule:
* We'll begin play with Round 1 commencing on Friday, November 27.
Players should have announced their armies and scouting points, and diced for picking a table side, no later than 9PM Eastern on Wednesday, December 2.
If one player has not met these conditions, then the other player may automatically choose table sides.
* Players should have completed deployment of their armies no later than Saturday, December 5, by 12PM Eastern.
If one player has not taken any deployment steps, then the other player has the option to set up first. If they exercise this option, then they may set up on the center line regardless of scouting points, and the tardy player must set up 240p back from the center line.
* All games should have completed by Friday, December 11, no later than 9PM Eastern. Games will be scored based on the end of the 7th Bound completed prior to that deadline, or based on the score of the last Bound completed prior to that deadline.
If one player has not yet taken steps to initiate Bound 1 play by the deadline, then that player forfeits for that round, and the game will be scored 5-0 in favor of their opponent.
* Subsequent rounds will follow a similar timetable, with exact dates to be determined contingent on the completion of Round 1.

A big thanks to Bill Low and Scott Holder for their work on Holy Warrior in this period, and to Bill for championing an event with this focus. Frank Gilson will be helping to set up tables, and you can ping either myself or Todd Kaiser on Discord if you need a rules decision.

-Mark
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject:

The tables are setup...in Roll20 under "The Balkan League" tables 1 to 6.

For now (subject to change until the event starts) the armies and limitations are:
9 Seljuq Turk Sultanate of Rum only; no Khurasanian allies; boats allowed; may be some special mods that could affect weighting 10%
16 Georgian 10%
20 Serbian No Bombards 5%
21 Early Ottoman Turk 5%
22 Later Ottoman Turk Solaks 0-8, Janissaries 0-12; No Bombards or Wallachian allies 0%
27 Romanian Frank Late Period only 5%
28 Catalan Company 0%
31 Later Bulgar 5%
32 Early Palaiologan Byzantine 0%
32 Nicaean Byzantine 5%
32 Epirote Byzantine 5%
33 Later Palaiologan Byzantine 0%
33 Trapezuntine Byzantine 10%
34 Later Hungarian Early Period only; no Wallachian/Moldavian, Polish or Crusader allies 0%
36 Albanian No Bombards 5%

Those weightings are preliminary, as are the changes.
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject: current results

My Later Ottomans defeated Greg Hauser's Later Ottomans 5-1.

Bill Low's Later Trapezuntine Byzantine defeated Sean's Albanians 5-2.

Chris Schulitz's Catalan defeated Mark Stone's Later Paleologan Byzantine 4-3.

We await the result of Ewan's Early Paleologan Byzantine against Dan Woyke's Georgian.
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: current results

Frank Gilson wrote:
My Later Ottomans defeated Greg Hauser's Later Ottomans 5-1.

Bill Low's Later Trapezuntine Byzantine defeated Sean's Albanians 5-2.

Chris Schulitz's Catalan defeated Mark Stone's Later Paleologan Byzantine 4-3.

We await the result of Ewan's Early Paleologan Byzantine against Dan Woyke's Georgian.

Dan and Ewan fought to a 2-2 draw with many waver tests passed.
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:20 am    Post subject:

We did indeed. His IrrA EHC rolled up repeatedly and routed both Varangians on contact and a bow block; no-one cared. [That's not really true. I had two units shake from the first, bow block, rout, but the IrrAs were so unsupported that I had time to recover them both. No-one cared about the Varangians.]

I evaporated the EHC: no-one cared. I got into the shieldless flank of a MI spear block and they ran away: no-one cared. We called it because it had been several days - fun, but no long periods of synchronous play - and Mark was getting restless Smile.

This current second round, facing Chris Shulitz' Catalans, my dice have apparently been placed on the naughty list. He's entirely IrrB, so no surprise that he has passed wavers - but my Reg Bs fail counters, my eager Cs fail wavers, and his combat dice have squashed mine flat (his Alan AG, 2E HC, charged even-up against my 2E HK Sub; his +3 in prep shooting and +2 to my -2 in hth mean that I am recoiling shaken. Oops.)
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:41 am    Post subject: round 2 results

Ewan McNay 'defeats' Chris Schulitz 4-3 (bloodbath)
Greg Hauser defeats Sean Patrick Scott 5-2
Frank Gilson defeats Bill Low 5-1
Dan Woyke defeats Mark Stone 5-2

Sean is at 4 points
Mark is at 5 points
Ewan is at 6 points
Greg is at 6 points
Bill is at 6 points
Dan is at 7 points
Chris is at 7 points
Frank is at 10 points
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:17 am    Post subject:

Hey folks,
Our latest virtual Warrior event on Roll20 has concluded. This themed event, The Balkan League, focused on armies, allies, and enemies of the later stages of the Byzantine Empire. A big congratulations to Frank Gilson, who walloped everyone with his Ottoman Turks -- a fitting historical outcome. Also honorable mention to Chris Schulitz; I believe 2nd place is his highest tournament finish.
Here are the results and final standings:
Frank Gilson Later Ottoman Turk 15.23
Chris Schulitz Catalan Company 12.25
Ewan McNay Early Palaiologan Byzantine 11.28
Bill Low Trapezuntine Byzantine 9.35
Sean-Patrick Scott Albanian 9.23
Greg Hauser Later Ottoman Turk 7.36
Dan Woyke Georgian 7.33
Mark Stone Later Palaiologan Byzantine 7.28
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: