Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mixed Body Charge Declaration Restrictions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sleepysloo
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:28 am    Post subject: Mixed Body Charge Declaration Restrictions?

When considering charge cancellations/responses involving mixed bodies it is the front rank of each involved body that counts.
What about Charge Declarations?
e.g. Can a mixed body of Front Rank LCh including one or more rear ranks of LC declare a charge based on the front rank (i.e. usually CAN charge)? Or does the body suffer the charge declaration limitations of LC (i.e usually CANNOT charge)?

I would have assumed following the 'front rank is what matters' principle that the mixed body charges as freely as a body of LCh alone, but then I recalled that a SPECIFIC mention was made to allow attached LI to charge with LCh, whereas LC goes unmentioned. This made me think that the LC (and thus the mixed body) could NOT charge except when a body of LC alone could charge.

I'm trying to beef up my Ancient British LCh in HTH with a rear rank(s) of attached LC, thus reducing the CPF suffered, whilst avoiding the increased combat fatigue and decreased movement that LI/LMI rear ranking would cause. However this is pointless if it then prevents my LCh charging freely.

Thematically I would have thougt that for the same reasons that LCh worry the enemy and encourage any attached LI to fight, they WOULD similarly motivate attached LC to join them on the attack. Also, given that the LC cannot shoot from behind the LCh, if they cannot attack with them (I.e. join in the charge and thus soak up some casualties) it seems difficult to imagine WHY they are allowed to be attached in the Ancient British Army List (it would reduce their role to solely that of triple rank skirmish shooting).

Historically Cassivellaunus' harrying of Caesar's army by using only Chariots and (Light) Cavalry seems to me to be reflected better if the rules are interpreted to allow the LC charging when behind LCh. But 'rules is rules'. Could someone please clarify the Rules on this?

Many thanks again for the rapid responses to questions I receive here!
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Mixed Body Charge Declaration Restrictions?

sleepysloo wrote:
When considering charge cancellations/responses involving mixed bodies it is the front rank of each involved body that counts.
What about Charge Declarations?
e.g. Can a mixed body of Front Rank LCh including one or more rear ranks of LC declare a charge based on the front rank (i.e. usually CAN charge)? Or does the body suffer the charge declaration limitations of LC (i.e usually CANNOT charge)?

I would have assumed following the 'front rank is what matters' principle that the mixed body charges as freely as a body of LCh alone, but then I recalled that a SPECIFIC mention was made to allow attached LI to charge with LCh, whereas LC goes unmentioned. This made me think that the LC (and thus the mixed body) could NOT charge except when a body of LC alone could charge.

I'm trying to beef up my Ancient British LCh in HTH with a rear rank(s) of attached LC, thus reducing the CPF suffered, whilst avoiding the increased combat fatigue and decreased movement that LI/LMI rear ranking would cause. However this is pointless if it then prevents my LCh charging freely.

Thematically I would have thougt that for the same reasons that LCh worry the enemy and encourage any attached LI to fight, they WOULD similarly motivate attached LC to join them on the attack. Also, given that the LC cannot shoot from behind the LCh, if they cannot attack with them (I.e. join in the charge and thus soak up some casualties) it seems difficult to imagine WHY they are allowed to be attached in the Ancient British Army List (it would reduce their role to solely that of triple rank skirmish shooting).

Historically Cassivellaunus' harrying of Caesar's army by using only Chariots and (Light) Cavalry seems to me to be reflected better if the rules are interpreted to allow the LC charging when behind LCh. But 'rules is rules'. Could someone please clarify the Rules on this?

Many thanks again for the rapid responses to questions I receive here!

Will get you an answer...as strictly according to the rules it appears that LC present in a body limits charge declaration as per 6.161.
sleepysloo
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Yes, I'm afraid that's my honest reading as well.
Perhaps a case could be made for a List Rule for the Ancient British here? After all they were considered 'an exception' to still be using Chariots even by the Romans at the time, which sounds to me like List Rule territory.
I do not know the Army Lists well enough, but how many other armies can attach LC to LCh/HCh? If the answer is none/not many then perhaps Rule 6.161 could be changed.
However I don't believe that rules should be changed on a whim, but I suppose the 'front rank is what matters' principle has already overridden some of the standard 'Rules.
Given that Imperial Warrior is due an update (e.g. to determine which lists can use Barbarian Rules) I think a List Rule for the Ancient British on this makes sense. At the moment they have no changes on the Imperial Warrior Errata.
Anyway thanks for your time on this.
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:23 am    Post subject:

Yup, in fact, LC in a body restricts the charge declaration capability of that body to that of LC as there is no exception.

We do have yet to revise Imperial Warrior...and I'll take note of your suggestion. Whether or not any change occurs, there can be no promises Wink.
sleepysloo
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:43 am    Post subject:

Nor would I expect any! 😀
Look thanks for taking the time. Again.
It just means my LC and LCh will have to get a combined arms effect from my brilliant generalship, rather than a rule. I can live (or die) with that.

Thanks for taking my musings into account moving forward. 🙂
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:51 am    Post subject:

sleepysloo wrote:
Nor would I expect any! 😀
Look thanks for taking the time. Again.
It just means my LC and LCh will have to get a combined arms effect from my brilliant generalship, rather than a rule. I can live (or die) with that.

Thanks for taking my musings into account moving forward. 🙂

Thank you for asking! ...and for playing Warrior...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: