Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Council of 5 Nations - Schnectady, NY Sept 23, 2023

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:41 pm    Post subject: Council of 5 Nations - Schnectady, NY Sept 23, 2023

Council of 5 Nations – September 23

Tourney Special Rules:

1600 points – 1 list variant.

Generals must be rolled. Preset terrain. 25mm only

Only 1 TF may be “attempted” to be placed beyond 240p of the rear edge. Roll 1-2: fails and can only be placed in the Rear Zone (or at all, player’s discretion), Roll 3-6: placed as player desired per rules.

African Warrior Draft is allowed, as are early modern firearms.

General character: On a roll of a 5 can be Bold or reroll on Special General’s table (CinC can always choose to roll on this table)

1 – Bleeder – General has physical defect that makes him more prone to a catastrophe. In Hand-to-Hand, if the Bleeder’s unit takes 2 CPF or more, and makes an unmodified melee roll of -2, -3, or -4 he suffers a catastrophe. In preparatory shooting, if the Bleeder’s unit is shot for 2 CPF and the missile fire die roll is +2 or higher it forces a catastrophe.

2 – Inattentive – General gets only 10 prompt points a turn.

3 – Efficient General – General gets 20 prompt points a turn.

4 – Brave – General’s unit always adds an additional +1 in melee.

5 – Inspirational – Unit with General in never uneasy. If the General is the CinC, then all units within 120 paces are never uneasy.

6 – General is Efficient, Brave, and Inspirational

Jls armed cavalry fight 1.5 ranks in HTH combat versus any foot when charging, counter-charging or pursuing.

Barbarian Foot Rules in effect with the following addition: Under 2(a), add “following up” as a new condition for counting 3rd/4th ranks in HTH.

X Rules:

2.512, 2.52/53 – Elephants and Chariots 60x80mm bases, mix of regular and irregular allowed
5.11 – Eager – “Bodies are eager while any of the following apply (If the body is entirely Reg B)
5.11 – Sacred standards affects are changed from 480 paces to 720 paces.
5.52 Waver Test causes – Bullet 7 – Range for seeing a Sacred standard lost changed to 720 paces.
17.1 SHC or SHC(m) Troop Cost. Subtract 6 points from the final cost of an SHC or SHC(m) element if general’s, subtract 8 points if other. Applies to Reg and Irreg elements.
17.2 Sacred Standards cost 30 points whether Reg or Irreg.

Roman rules (and x-rules) are in effect with the following exception:
5.51 – Roman troops do not get to add +1 to any waver test die roll.

The following lists are EXCLUDED from play in this tournament:

Biblical:
30: Neo-Babylonian
37: Later Elamite

Classical:
23: Alexandrian Imperial
27: Seleucid

Imperial:
27: Sassanid Persian

Oriental:
26: Khmer
35: Mongol
43: Ming Chinese
44: Timurid

New World:
6: Tepanec
7: Aztec
22: Early Inca
23: Later Inca
24: Post Conquest Inca

Holy Warrior:
2: Nikephorian Byzantine
8: Ghaznavid
14: Komnenan Byzantine
22: Later Ottoman Turk
28: Catalan Company
32: Nicaean, Epirote, Early Palaiologan Byzantine
33: Later Palaiologan, Trapezuntine Byzantine
35: Wallachian or Moldavian

African Warrior:
10: Kanem-Bornu

Feudal:
18: Hohenstaufen Sicilian
19: Later Polish
30: HYW English
36: Early Burgundian
38: French Ordonnance

scott holder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Very much looking forward to the AAR.
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Council of 5 Nations AAR and Results

Dave Stier - Free Company - 15 - 1st place
Dave Markowitz - L. Teutonic - 15 - 2nd place
Ewan McNay - Japanese - 11
Matt Kollmer - Medieval Irish - 8
Dan Woyke - Scots Common - 7
Bill Low - Granadine - 6
Jake Kovel - Early Polish - 4
Bill Chamis - Late Roman - 4

The goal of seeing armies we don't typically see was, for the most part, accomplished. More later on this.

Some fun stories out of this: In a hectic week leading up to this (personally and painting) I drive up to Matt's and pick him up. When putting Matt's stuff in the car I realize that I have left all my terrain in the basement (2 hours away.....). I'm so angry with myself at this point. My car is packed with armies, rules, the Dave go-bag, figures for others to borrow, commissions.... by no terrain.....

Luckily there is a Hobby Store along the way - Matt and I stop in and after some fabric purchases, we have enough to make it work. In another twist when we make it down to our gaming area (basement of the Proctor Theatre) it appears that Bill has forgotten the gaming cloths..... Luckily there are these long, green duct cloth "curtains" on the walls with the purpose of being noise collectors.... Danny figures out that we strip the walls and cover the tables and Bob's your uncle.

We had 5 boards in play. One heavy brush and some woods, 1 winter with 2 lakes (the Frank Gilson Memorial Board), and 3 moderate terrain boards.

Some highlights of the day.

Free Company blazed the way through - certainly a lesser 100YW army. Smaller with less LB but masterfully handled by Dave throughout the day.

Round 1 - Jake's Polish foot come in hot vs. Samurai.... roll +3, Ewan rolls up as well and destroys both units as they are exhausted and pushed back. Shakes and center goes for Poles.

Galloglaich are tough - they rolled through the Legions of Rome.

Round 2 - Galloglaich aren't tough enough for Teutonic Knights. In go the knights and push back the Irish. Matt counterattacks and it looks like the Teuts are going to be swept away and there are 2 routing knights, but a Teut general catches the other Galloglaich unit int he flank and the Irish fall.

In a great, vicious fight the Scots and E. Poles dish out over 1400 points killed combined. Jake's LMI crashes into the Highlander command pushing it back, but Wallace rolled well enough to take 20 cpf and hold. Danny rolls in another 2E highland unit, Jake promptly rolls down, killing off a Polish LMI unit, Polish knights shake (and fail test vs. LI charge), LMI unit on other side shakes and breaks. Looks great for Scots, BUT Jake rallies, his LC (a few turns after routing a LI Highland unit, hits the flank of a 2E high unit, routs it and carries away the Highland command.

Ewan made a rather un-Ewan mistake sending in his CinC into Stier's LI unit that he thought would evade, uncovering a LB unit that is extending the front of the LI unit. The LI unit stands, overlap shooting occurs and general is killed. Game over. At this point Ewan has played about 1.25 hours out of the 7 allotted for play.

Round 3 - Stier's LB/Knight combo are too tough and he runs away with it early vs. Matt. Ewan's Japanese lose to the legions, but sweep away the rest of the Romans trying to hold the line. Bill's Granadines and Woyke's Scots smash each other to bits in an exciting 3-3. Jake had Dave on the ropes early, Dave rallied, Dave rolled down 3 with a general but Jake rolled down and didn't do 2 cpf to it...... Exciting battle as well.

Ice board swallowed up - 0 points game one (Teuts vs. Granadine), 408 points of Poles and Scots, and an Irish LC on the first bound of movement for Matt Sad.

Success all the day through. We were discussing possible changes - with the idea for next year.

Remember the goal is to see more armies out there that are not often played because they are not as "good" as others. We saw lots more of those lesser used armies on the table. Thinking of next year removing Japanese from play, SHK, and a restriction to only 6 elephants and seeing what will happen to army choice.

I was ready with my Fatimid army, but the numbers didn't allow for it. The SHK would have been a real bummer for me as they could just roll through my shooting for the most part.

There was no real general rolls that came into play, sadly. No bleeders if I can remember. Quite a few inspirational, but I don't think it had much impact on play.

No sacred standards in play either so I don't know if the change would be helpful or not.

Most needs for me as umpire were geometry (Jake extricated some LC out of Dave's backfield in dramatic fashion) and a few rules look ups. There was a discussion about skirmish/shooting in woods that will have to be discussed and may change skirmish ability in woods that may lead to more combat there. Frank can detail that one for us.

next year I'll bring the terrain (with some more variety Smile) and the Proctor Theatre said they'd continue to provide the gaming cloths - double Smile

Your humble servant,

Todd K

Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:28 pm    Post subject:

*Thank you*, Todd for umping and overcoming the various obstacles. A true service.

Japanese are kinda fun but (1) as I knew, impossible to force a game with and (2) utterly lacking in manouvre or ability to withstand SHK. Against other infantry, though, or bowfire, absolute killers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: