Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Favourite Fantasy Novel Armies - David Eddings Belgariad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Shattered Plains
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OGS-Vintage
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Favourite Fantasy Novel Armies - David Eddings Belgariad

(i fall to me knees and pray this is the correct place to post <much wailing>)

As an avid fantasy reader and wargamer I often spent hours creating fantasy lists - my favourite armies (and often the most colourful) were the David Eddings Belgariad series (this featured a lot of large scale combat and one huge hum dinger at the end between nearly every nation in the setting).

Has anyone else worked on the following armies?

Army from the books / Warrior/Historical Equavalent <my buest guess>
Mallorean - lots of aechemanian persian etc - chariots, elephants, masses of infantry
Murgo - another hard one
Thull - Lots of poor quality massed MI (chinese without the good cavalry?)
Nadrak -

Mimbrate/Asturian - felt like teutonic to me (brainless impetuous knights) with english additions (longbowmen) and peasants
Tolnedran - Roman (mixed the lists)
Rivan - made one up - lots sturdies
Sendarian - had to make one up - peoples army
Cherek - Ancient Germans
Drasnian - Pike <mish mash of german pike with colourful additions such as Bear Cult etc>
Algar - Sassanid PErsian without the Elephants - replace levy with City dwellers.
Nyissan - not sure if they had an army - masses of slaves with irreg A fanatics?

I would also love to hear about your own works.

I offered to run several fantasy campaigns to no avail - non fantasy fans are reluctant to run lists that do not have historical names (whats a Murgo? Where did Palace Guard come from? Bear Cult - what the?).

Have fun and be as good as you need to be Wink
goblin
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: I read the books...

... and I tried too to build a campaign in that world. But I got problems with maps and distances, and another issues.
For armies, well. Asturians as medieval britain; murgos as arabs, but with bad cavalry; chereks as vikings; tolnedrans as romans or byzantines; nyssans as burmese. Algarians are a problem, light cavalry without bows?

I never finished my research.

Emilio.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Shattered Plains All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: